Thursday, May 28, 2009
Governmental Operations Committee May 28, 2009
Richmond City Council's Governmental Operations Committee met on May 28, 2009 in the Large Conference Room on the 2nd Floor of City Hall. The meeting began 4:10PM.
My comments at the opening of the meeting reference a drug smuggling ring that had recently been discovered at the Richmond City Jail. At least one inmate working on a work crew smuggled drugs (marijuana and heroin) into the City Jail. I said this was just one more argument against the use of inmate labor.
• Review of City's Procurement Policies – Eric Mens, Director, Procurement Services
Dwight Snead, President of Dwight Snead Construction Company and Kenneth Jones, President and CEO of Prestige Construction Group each expressed concern that the City’s use of the electronic procurement tool eVA might have a negative impact on minority-owned businesses.
• 2009 General Assembly Legislation Report – Valerie Salaam, Council Policy Analyst
Papers for Consideration:
1. Ord. No. 2009-82 (Patron: President Graziano) - To amend City Code § 2-221, concerning additional duties of the City Auditor, to remove the additional duties previously set forth in such section and to modify the method by which Council members request audits and projects from the City Auditor.
2. Ord. No. 2009-90 (Patron: President Graziano) - To amend City Code § 2-1057, concerning the composition and terms of office of the Audit Committee, to provide that citizen members shall be allowed to serve for up to three successive terms.
3. Ord. No. 2009-91 (Patron: President Graziano) - To amend City Code § 2-212, concerning procedures for disclosure of misconduct, to clarify the methods by which misconduct may be reported and to affirmatively require City employees to report instances of misconduct, including fraud, waste and abuse.
Audit Consolidation Status Report
Audit Committee – 2 Vacancies
Nicholas Macauley – (Appointment)